[O.S. Ref: SK 364 876]
Dedication: St. John the Evangelist
Built in the Park district in 1834, St. John's is one of the original six churches constructed as the city of Sheffield grew larger in the 19th century. In April 1865, following earlier complaints, a scandal erupted concerning the malpractice of officials and desecration of the dead in St. John's burial ground. In May that year the Secretary of State imposed restrictions on the use of the burial ground, which was subsequently closed.
This document and photograph are © Chris Newall 2016 and are not for sale or general publication.
The photograph may not be reproduced without permission.