Bridlington Priory, ERY
[O.S. Ref: TA 177 680]
Dedication: St. Mary

Bridlington Priory was founded around 1113 by Walter de Gant, and was very wealthy at the time of its dissolution by Henry VIII in 1538, its yearly income being estimated to be 547 6s. 11d. [Wikipedia]

The Sailor's Memorial in the churchyard of The Priory Church commemorates the crew of the 'Harbinger' lifeboat lost in the 'Great Gale' of 10th February 1871. David Purdon, builder of the 'Harbinger', and his wife Harriet, the daughter of George and Ann Wilson, are buried in the churchyard.

Return to the previous page

This document and photograph are © Chris Newall 2016 and are not for sale or general publication.
The photograph may not be reproduced without permission.
Last update : 17th January 2016