St. Katherine Creechurch, LND
[O.S. TQ 333 811]
Dedication: St. Katherine
Situated on the north side of Leadenhall Street near Leadenhall Market in the Aldgate ward of the City of London, St. Katherine Creechurch was founded in 1280. The present building, designed by Inigo Jones, dates from 1628–30 but retains the Tudor tower of its predecessor. It takes its name from the the Augustinian Holy Trinity Priory, Aldgate, also called Christ Church, 'Cree' being a corrupted abbreviation of 'Christ Church'.
This document and photograph are © Chris Newall 2016 and are not for sale or general publication.
The photograph may not be reproduced without permission.