St. Giles-without-Cripplegate, LND
[O.S. TQ 323 817]
Dedication: St. Giles
One of the few medieval churches left in the City of London, having survived the Great Fire of 1666. The original Saxon church on the site had been replaced by a Norman building by 1090. This was rebuilt in the perpendicular gothic style in 1394 and a stone tower was added in 1682. Oliver Cromwell was married here in 1620 and John Milton was buried in the church in 1674.
This document and photograph are © Chris Newall 2016 and are not for sale or general publication.
The photograph may not be reproduced without permission.