East Bergholt, SFK
[O.S. Ref: TM 070 344]
Dedication: St Mary the Virgin
The Church of St Mary the Virgin was built in the 15th and 16th centuries, but is well known for the absence of a tower or spire to house the bells. Work began on a tower in 1525, but Cardinal Wolsey's fall from grace in 1530 brought construction to a halt and the following year a wooden bell cage was erected in the churchyard. This 'temporary' structure still exists although not in its original position. [Wikipedia]
This document and photograph are © Chris Newall 2016 and are not for sale or general publication.
The photograph may not be reproduced without permission.