[O.S. Ref: TQ 374 777]
Dedication: St. Nicholas
St Nicholas' Church, Deptford's original parish church, dates from the 14th century, was largely rebuilt in the 1690s and was restored after being bombed during WW2. The churchyard entrance gateposts are topped with gruesome stone skull-and-bones carvings and a plaque on the north wall commemorates playwright Christopher Marlowe, who was murdered, allegedly in an arguement over cost of a meal, in a nearby house. Marlowe was buried in an unmarked grave in the churchyard on 1st June 1593.
This document and photograph are © Chris Newall 2016 and are not for sale or general publication.
The photograph may not be reproduced without permission.