St. Botolph-without-Bishopsgate, LND
[O.S. Ref: TQ 330 813]
Dedication: St. Botolph
St. Botolph was a patron saint for travellers and in medieval times churches dedicated to him stood just outside four of London's city gates. The gates and most of the city walls have long since disappeared but three of the four churches remain. This one, standing just south of Liverpool Street Station on the west side of the present Bishopsgate, narrowly escaped the Great Fire of London in 1666 but fell into disrepair and was rebuilt between 1725 and 1729.
This document and photograph are © Chris Newall 2016 and are not for sale or general publication.
The photograph may not be reproduced without permission.