[O.S. Ref: SJ 767 524]
Dedication: St Bertoline
This is thought to be the only English church to be dedicated to Saint Bertoline. On Christmas Eve 1643, during the civil war, about 20 Parliamentary supporters had taken refuge in the church when Royalist forces under the command of Lord Byron started a fire. The Parliamentarians surrendered but twelve of them were then killed.
This document and photograph are © Chris Newall 2016 and are not for sale or general publication.
The photograph may not be reproduced without permission.