Ab Kettleby, LEI
[O.S. SK 723 230]
Dedication: St. James the Greater
Ab Kettleby was first recorded in the Domesday Book as Chetelbi. The medieval St. James Church, which has a Norman font and a memorial to Everard Digby of the Gunpowder Plot, was restored in 1853. Roman mosaics and a pavement found beneath the churchyard, indicate the presence of a villa. These remains and an old ditch running north/south under the nave have caused serious structural problems for the church, which was closed in 2006.
This document and photograph are © Chris Newall 2016 and are not for sale or general publication.
The photograph may not be reproduced without permission.